Sex and sleep are two important aspects for elderly health. The concept that seniors cannot have a satisfying sex life is misleading since health plays a key role in the level of older adults’ sexual activity. Insufficient sleep can be especially pronounced in elders due to its prevalence and subsequent effects. Let’s take a look at what happened this past month at Global Health Aging.
On the Blog
- Sexual Health and Intimacy in Later Life – Sophie Okolo
- The Impact of Sleep Disorders Among the Elderly – Diana Kingsbury
- Common Mistakes Caregivers Make and How to Avoid Them – James Fisher
In the News
- Elderly Brits Holding On to Pension Pots – Wall Street Journal
- Tanzania: Orphans, the Elderly and Destitutes Deserve Care – AllAfrica
- Taking care of America’s elderly may not be a priority – Gothenburg Times
- Will the elderly rely on the Internet of Things to look after them? – DPS News
- ‘Ageism to blame’ for elderly men’s suicide rate, experts warn – The Australian
- Beijing neighbourhood turns to community care for elderly – Channel NewsAsia
- Which party is ready to deal with Canada’s aging demographics? – The Globe and Mail Inc.
August Peer Reviews
- Relationship between Auditory and Cognitive Abilities in Older Adults – PLoS One
- Functional limitations and adipokines in hiv-infected older adults – The Journal of Frailty & Aging
- Altered whole-brain white matter networks in preclinical Alzheimer’s disease. – NeuroImage: Clinical
- Prevention of Mental Disorder in Older Adults: Recent Innovations and Future Directions – Generations
- Challenge to promote change: both young and older adults benefit from contextual interference. – Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience
- Dependent or Productive? A New Approach to Understanding the Social Positioning of Older South Africans Through Living Arrangements – Journal of Aging Research
Age International is an international development charity focused on helping older people in some of the world’s poorest countries. The organization improves livelihoods, health and healthcare by providing age-friendly emergency relief, challenging attitudes, influencing decision-makers and changing policies. Their vision is of a world in which women and men everywhere can lead dignified, healthy and secure lives as they grow older. Age International is a partner to two older people’s charities: Age UK and HelpAge International. The organization is also a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC). If you want more information, visit the website here.
- Sept 16-18 | Oslo, Norway: International Congress of the European Union Geriatric Medicine Society
- Oct 4-7 | Washington, DC: Alzheimer’s Foundation of America Concepts in Care Conference
- Oct 13-16 | Berlin, Germany: International Psychogeriatric Association
- Nov 5-6 | Washington, DC: Aging & Society Interdisciplinary Conference
- Dec 1-4 | Fort Lauderdale, FL: International Dementia with Lewy Bodies Conference 2015
Just for Fun
- The elderly athletes redefining old age– The Telegraph
- Photos of Glamorous Women of a Certain Age – New York Magazine
- 5 Amazing Seniors Busting Every Aging Stereotype– The Huffington Post
- And a quote to keep you inspired till next month!